Insurance For Motorcycles, Boats And RV’s

 Most people in the San Diego area love their motorcycle, ATV, and other toys. But it is important to have the proper insurance in order to protect yourself. Here are a few ideas for you to consider while you enjoy your toys.

Motorcycle Insurance

Choosing the right motorcycle insurance policy is much like choosing the right motorcycle. You want it to fit your needs and lifestyle, but at the same time, be within your budget. Although most states require you to carry a minimum amount of liability coverage, other types of coverage are usually optional. Always ask your insurance agent or company representative which laws apply in your state.

Liability Coverage

Liability insurance covers bodily injury and property damage that you may cause to other people involved in an accident. It doesn’t cover you or your motorcycle. Find out if your coverage includes Guest Passenger Liability, which provides protection in the event that a passenger is injured on the motorcycle. Whether or not this is included depends on the laws of your state and the company issuing the policy.

Collision Coverage

Collision insurance covers damage to your motorcycle if you are involved in an accident. Your insurance company pays for damages, minus your deductible, caused when you collide with another vehicle or object. Collision insurance usually covers the book value of the motorcycle before the loss occurred.

Comprehensive Coverage

Comprehensive coverage pays for damages caused by an event other than a collision, such as fire, theft or vandalism. However, just like collision coverage, your insurance company will pay for damages, minus your deductible, and will cover only the book value of the motorcycle.

Keep in mind most comprehensive and collision coverages will only cover the factory standard parts on your motorcycle. If you decide to add on any optional accessories such as chrome parts, a custom paint job, trailers or sidecars, you should look into obtaining additional or optional equipment coverage.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Uninsured/underinsured Motorist Coverage covers damages to you and your property caused by another driver who either doesn’t have insurance (uninsured) or doesn’t have adequate insurance (underinsured) to cover your damages.

This coverage typically pays for medical treatment, lost wages and other damages. If your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage includes property damage, then your motorcycle would also be covered under the same circumstances. Check with your insurance professional to see if property damage is included or needs to be purchased separately.

Watercraft Insurance

While cruising the water in your boat, the last thing you want to worry about is insurance. Contact us and let us take care of you.  Then go back to fishing, sunbathing, or just relaxing on those cool, clear waters.  We have a policy for most types of boats including; bass boats, cruisers, fishing boats, pontoons, runabouts, sailboats, catamarans and utility boats. Our watercraft insurance plans can provide you with coverage against many different types of loss.

Most companies provide limited coverage for property damage for small boats such as canoes and small sailboats or small power boats with less than 25 miles per hour horse power under a homeowners or renter’s insurance policy.  Coverage is usually about $1,000 or 10 percent of the home’s property value and generally includes the boat, motor and trailer combined.  Liability coverage is typically not included–but it can be added as an endorsement to a homeowner’s policy.  Check with your insurance representative to find out if your boat is covered and what the limits are.

Larger and faster boats such as yachts, and personal watercraft such as jet skis and wave runners require a separate boat insurance policy.  The size, type and value of the craft and the water in which you use it factor into how much you will pay for insurance coverage.

For physical loss or damage, coverage includes the hull, machinery, fittings, furnishings and permanently attached equipment as part of either an actual cash value policy or on an agreed amount value basis.  These policies also provide broader liability protection than a homeowner’s policy.  But there are distinct differences between the two types of policies.

Competitive RV Insurance

Now is the perfect time to have your Recreational Vehicle (RV) insurance reviewed.  Your RV insurance may need updating because of new laws and coverages.  Having the right RV insurance can mean the difference between a great vacation and bad vacation.

Liability Insurance

Liability coverage, also known as “property damage/bodily injury” insurance, can help cover expenses from damaging a vehicle or injuring a person in an accident.

Collision Coverage

Collision coverage helps pay for damage to your vehicle if you hit another vehicle, another vehicle hits you, or your vehicle rolls over.  Collision coverage can be required if your vehicle is financed or leased.

Comprehensive Coverage

Comprehensive insurance helps pay for damage to your vehicle not caused by collision.  Examples include damage or loss due to theft, vandalism, falling objects, fire, storms, and flood.

Uninsured or Underinsured Coverage

This coverage helps pay for repairs if your RV is damaged in an accident by an underinsured, uninsured, or unidentified driver.  It also helps pay medical costs.

Medical Payments Coverage

Medical payments coverage helps pay medical costs for you and your passengers in the event of an accident, regardless of who is at fault.

Rental Reimbursement Coverage

This coverage helps pay for your rental car or other transportation if your RV cannot be driven due to an at-fault accident or comprehensive claim.  This is important, especially if you are out of town.

Towing and Labor Coverage

Towing and labor coverage reimburses you for towing charges if an insured vehicle is disabled.  It also covers on-site assistance, such as battery jump-start, tire change, and locksmith services.  We recommend this on all recreation vehicles.